Craving noodles but don’t want to eat a noodle soup in a hot and humid weather, a stir fry will be a better option. Minnesota is known for its below zero temperatures and snowy days, but what many don’t realize are it’s hot and humid summer season that can reach the upper 90’s and even beyond scorching 100 degree temperatures. Don’t let Minnesota fool you about what it’s known for, summers here feel like the Bahamas, literally. So for hot summers like these, here is an alternative to hit that noodle craving in a one pot dish.
Purchase and download the digital recipe in PDF, click here.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes | Cook time: 10-15 minutes | Serving Size: 2
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 serving of Udon Noodles, boiled and drained
- 2-4 cups of water
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 1 small handful of dill, chopped
- 8-9 baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1-2 handfuls uncooked deveined and peeled shrimp (fresh or thawed), chopped
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black bean garlic sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of spicy chili oil
- Wood cutting board
- Chop knife
- Half baking sheet
- Heat resistant strainer
- Stainless steel mixing bowl
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil in the saucepan over medium to high heat.
- Once the extra virgin olive oil is hot, add the shrimp and stir until cooked and then set it aside.
- Drizzle more extra virgin olive oil in the same saucepan and add onions, red bell pepper, and celery to cook for 3-5 minutes. Tip: when cooking the vegetables, it’s best to cook the dense vegetables first to allow enough cooking time to soften before adding other soft vegetables.
- Once the onion, red bell pepper, and celery are semi soft and then add the baby bella mushrooms. Tip: Feel free to add splashes of water to help cook the baby bella mushrooms faster.
- Add the cooked shrimp, kale, cilantro, green onion, dill and the cooked and drained udon noodles and stir.
- Then add the black bean garlic sauce and stir.
- Optional: Add soy sauce for additional saltiness and spicy chili oil for spice. Ready to serve.