It’s chilly outside, warm and cozy inside the house and it just makes you want to have a good gourmet comfort food. This particular day I was craving me a good gooey grilled cheese sandwich with a side of warm herby tomato soup. So I’m going to take a good classic childhood meal and adult it using no canned goods here. This meal here is made with quality time and love that will sit comfortably in your belly. If you’re feeling this comfy vibe, let’s get right to it.
Serving Size: 1 | Prep Time: 10-15 minutes | Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ingredients:
- 2 slices of bread of choice
- 1 slice of sharp medium cheddar cheese
- 1 slice of mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon of soft salted butter
Tomato Soup Ingredients:
- 3 fresh tomato on the vine
- 1 tsp of dried dill
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon and 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream (optional)
Tomato Soup Directions:
- Remove the tomatoes from the vines, rinse, and then place in a medium size saucepan.
- Fill the saucepan with water to enough to submerge the tomatoes at medium to high heat on the stovetop. Add 1 tablespoon of salt into the saucepan. Boil for 7 minutes or until the tomato skin has split.
- In a blender, use tongs to grab each tomato and place it in the blender. Use the soup setting of the blender and blend the tomatoes to a soft or chunky mixture of preference.
- The remaining water in the saucepan, pour and leave about 1/2 cup of water to remain in the saucepan.
- Pour the blended tomato mixture from the blender into the saucepan.
- Add salt, dill, thyme, oregano, parmesan cheese, and optional heavy cream (for a rich creamy texture) and stir with a label.
- Bring the soup to a simmer on medium to low heat and then turn off the stovetop and set it aside.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Directions:
- On a stovetop, start warming up the non stick pan at medium heat.
- Spread the soft salted butter on a slice of bread with a butter knife.
- Place the buttered side of the bread onto the nonstick pan.
- Add the slice of sharp cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese on top and cover with lid for about 1-2 minutes or until the bottom of the bread is golden brown.
- Spread salted butter on the other slice of bread and add it on top of the slices of cheese. Be sure to have the buttered side of the bread facing up.
- Use a spatula to flip the sandwich and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until golden with no lid cover at medium heat. (If the other side of the sandwich is golden brown but the cheese has not yet melted, flip the sandwich, cover the lid at low heat until the cheese melts.)
If you have tried this recipe, share it on social media and tag #recipesbykayklalor. I would love to see your creation! Enjoy!
|Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.|