Fall is officially here! It’s time to whip up some of my favorite vegetable soups from scratch made from real ingredients. On this particular day I was craving onions and mushrooms, which I conveniently had these two items in my kitchen. I had never made onion and mushroom soup before so I was giving it a test try and… oh… my… gah, it was delish! This will definitely be another one of my staple soups as a go to. Let’s get right to it.
Serving size: 2 | Prep Time: 5-7 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
- Baby Bella Mushrooms (handful)
- Yellow Onion (2 onions)
- Thyme, Dried (1/2 tablespoon)
- Dill, Dried (1/4 teaspoon)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Peel and cut the onions into small thin slices on a cutting board and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Rinse and slice the mushrooms into small slices on a cutting board and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Place the sliced onions in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cover with lid. Occasionally stir with a wooden spoon until the onions are caramelized in a golden brown color, which may take about 10-15 minutes. Once caramelized, set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Next in the same saucepan, place the mushrooms and cover with lid to cook. Occasionally stir for about 5-7 minutes or until soft.
- Add the caramelized onions to the mushrooms in the saucepan and give it a quick stir.
- Add water just enough to be at the same level or barely submerge the onion and mushrooms. Bring it to simmer and turn off the heat.
- Pour the contents from the saucepan into a blender. Using the soup setting, blend the contents until smooth. (Be very careful, it’s very hot! Be sure to hold the blender lid while blending for that extra precaution.)
- Pour the soup back into the saucepan over no heat. Add salt, thyme, and dill and give it a quick stir.
- Serve the soup using a ladle.
If you have tried this recipe go on and share it on social media using the hashtag #recipesbykayklalor. I would love to see what you’ve made!
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.