You guys! This sushi roll creation came about with what I already had in my pantry. So yeah I just happened to have nori sheets, smoked salmon, sesame seeds and everything else for this recipe. I mean, you can really tell I’m a foodie with these random ingredients that I have. What I can say, I love to experiment food and see what I can really change up in my everyday meal with everyday ingredients I can just whip up in my kitchen. Also, I hate running to the grocery stores just to grab a bunch of items to make one dish and quite frankly I don’t plan my meals like that. I like to ask my body what I’m craving and then I look up what I can whip up that’s healthy and go about my business.
People who know me, I LOVE smoked salmon on just about everything, such as instant noodles, toasts, bagels, and so on. But I have never had spicy salmon sushi roll with cauliflower rice. So on this particular day, my eyes were bigger than my stomach after a rigorous workout and I was super hungry. I was kind of all over the place when hangry-ness was settling in but it turned out surprising really good. I made 2 rolls which I didn’t finish, I was so full and satisfied. The only thing though is that I’m going to need sushi grade knives to cut my rolls, that was my only let down. BUT it was delicious when it went down my belly, that was the only thing that mattered!
So if you would like to dive in to have a taste, below is the recipe.
Serving size: 2 | Prep Time: 10-15 minutes | Cook time: NA
- Smoked salmon, 1 cup chopped
- Mayo, 1 tablespoon
- Sriracha sauce, 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce, 1 teaspoon
- Cauliflower florets, 1 handful or half a cauliflower head blended
- Avocado, half
- Nori sheets, 2
- Carrots, 4 small sliced or 1/4 cup shredded
- Celery, 2 stalks whole
- Romaine lettuce, 4 leafs
- Sesame seeds
- Distilled white vinegar or sushi rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon
- Wasabi paste (optional)
- Cutting board
- Regular knife or preferably a sushi knife
- 2 Small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wok or a frying pan
- Wooden spoon
- Plastic wrap
- Bamboo mat
- Dipping bowl
- In a small mixing bowl, put the diced smoked salmon and add mayo, sriracha sauce, soy sauce, mix and set aside.
- In a hot wok or frying pan, place the rinsed and blended cauliflower over medium to high heat. With a wooden spoon, stir occasionally until the cauliflower is soft.
- In another small mixing bowl, take the softened cauliflower and add the vinegar, avocado, and stir until thoroughly mixed and set aside.
- Prep the bamboo mat with plastic wrap covered all around.
- On the plastic wrap covered bamboo mat, place a nori sheet flat and add half of the cauliflower avocado mix per each nori sheet and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds.
- For each nori sheet, start assembling the following ingredients making sure it’s placed south of the nori sheet. Lay flat 2 romaine lettuce leaf, carrots, celery, and lastly lay the spicy smoked salmon concoction on top.
- Next, start rolling from the south to north and use the plastic wrap covered bamboo mat to create that nice tight roll. Follow the following video of the process of using a bamboo mat.
If you have tried this recipe and would like to share it on social media, use the hashtag #recipesbykayklalor. I would love to see what you’ve made!